Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and monitor the district’s policies. These policies serve as the road map for the school district, giving direction to the administration and staff and becoming the foundation for accountability.
- Approve and adopt an annual budget that will provide the financial basis for education in the district. This includes but is not limited to curriculum, facilities, furnishings, staff, materials and equipment needed to carry out educational programs.
- Select, retain and evaluate the superintendent of schools, who serves as the district’s chief executive officer and implements board policy.
- Establish and maintain solid, respectful working relationships with the superintendent. This includes recognizing the differences in the roles as governed by the State of Connecticut generally refraining from becoming involved in the day-to-day operation of schools and recognizing that decisions are made by the Board as a whole.
- Translate the district’s mission into short and long-range goals and then setting up the structure.
- Build public support and understanding of public education by communicating and interpreting the school district’s mission and goals to the public and vice versa.
- Serve on subcommittees as established by the Board.
APPROVED BY THE DARIEN BOARD OF EDUCATION ON AUGUST 28, 2018
REAFFIRMED BY THE DARIEN BOARD OF EDUCATION ON AUGUST 27, 2019