language learning resources
Below are links to websites that both students and teachers have found helpful. These sites are supplemental materials and support to what a student may receive in class. Click any of the links below to learn more.
- Babbel - A subscription-based language learning app and e-learning platform, available in fourteen languages.
- BBC Languages - Useful practice resources for learners, from actual news for practicing listening skills to worksheets and tests.
- ChildrensLibrary.org - Read children's books in the target language, or have them read to you to improve your listening skills.
- COERLL - Hundreds of language-learning materials separated by language. Managed by the Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning at the University of Texas.
- DuoLingo - Every student's favorite language-learning tool! Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up as your proficiency grows.
- FluentU - Watch videos with interactive subtitles to work on pronunciation, syntax, and listening skills. Also available as an app.
- Google Arts & Culture - Explore museums all around the world and deepen your understanding of the language and culture you are studying.
- Maine World Languages - Open resources for students and teachers collected by the State of Maine's Department of World Languages.
- MangoLanguages - A self-paced learning program that teaches languages through relevant and topical dialogue using vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, and culture.
- Polly Lingual - A catalogue of apps designed to help you learn essential vocabulary, phrases, and grammar concepts designed especially for students. You can also interact with live tutors.
- Quizlet - Another student and teacher favorite. Search a stack on just about any topic and play games where you can listen, type, and record your voice for practice.
- Voki - Create an avatar that speaks and add it to a presentation.
- WordReference - Reliable online dictionary that provides context for definitions. All teachers agree that this is the best source for defining and understanding vocabulary words!
- Français Authentique - For intermediate learners wanting to improve.
- Français avec Pierre - Check out the "Français por débutants" section for Novice speakers. A great resource for authentic cultural perspectives, check out videos subtitled in French to see and hear a model of how the French really speak.
- French Facile - A perfect podcast for those who really want something super basic like vocabulary lists, all the way up to short stories.
- French Words for Kids - 240 word-picture-audio combinations to learn to spell and pronounce French words, by dragging and dropping letters on an iOS device.
- Lawless French - Complicated topics become much more accessible for beginning language learners. Unique perspectives on Francophone countries from someone living abroad!
- Le Conjugueur - All French verb conjugations in one place. Sponsored by one of France's major news and media outlets.
- Parlez-vous French? - Beginners through advanced learners are engaged with a dynamic speaker. Students who understand written French much better than spoken French will see many visuals for improving their listening skills.
- ...miscellaneous videos that our students have found very helpful in recent years: Learn #1-100, foods, seasons.
- Kids Learn Mandarin - A fun, educational game that will teach you to speak, write and read over 200 Mandarin Chinese words. iTunes app.
- Colby Spanish - Straightforward, interactive grammar practice organized by tense and graded on the spot. Managed by Colby College.
- Notes in Spanish - Free Spanish audio and video. Authentic and real Spanish conversations about real-life topics available in various formats.
- SpanishListening - Like the name suggests, this is a one-stop-shop for all things Spanish listening. Search for authentic Spanish listening selections based on topic, length, country, etc. and interact with different features in each video.
- UT-Austin Proficiency Exercises - A compilation of brief video clips in which native speakers of Spanish from various locations throughout the world demonstrate various language tasks. Widely used in classrooms.
- WordPlay - Online game and app that helps students develop a their Spanish vocabulary with a game that automatically adjusts to each student's unique needs.
- Zachary Jones - Learn Spanish through pop culture with authentic resources.