world language honor societies
The World Language Department sponsors student membership in four internationally-recognized world language honor societies.
2024 ANNUAL WORLD LANGUAGE HONOR SOCIETIES INDUCTION CEREMONY
Tuesday, May 9th - DHS Auditorium - 6:30pm
The purpose of these organizations is to stimulate interest in and give recognition for the study of French, Latin, Mandarin, and Spanish. The societies and student members promote a deep understanding and appreciation of the cultures and peoples that speak those languages, and demonstrate a commitment to studying those languages further.
Induction and membership is open to high school students that meet the requirements stipulated by the World Language Department of the Darien Public Schools. If you have any questions about our honor societies, please reach out to the corresponding advisor, listed below the requirements for induction.
qualifying process and induction ceremony
World Language teachers at Darien High School begin to review student rosters during the third quarter of the school year, in consultation with the advisors for each of the four honor societies. Once a list of qualifying students is completed, it is sent to the Department Chair for review before students are notified that they have qualified for induction.
Students qualify or induction each year. Membership in any of the World Language honor societies does not automatically roll over from one year to the next. To qualify for induction and remain in good standing with the honor societies:
- A student must adhere to all policies set forth in the DHS Student Handbook.
- A students must not have been suspended from school during their sophomore, junior, or senior year.
- A student must not have had any Academic Integrity violations during their sophomore, junior, or senior year.
- A student must be enrolled at Darien High School, enrolled in the same world language at DHS for three consecutive semesters, and be in a Level 3 course or higher during Semester 1.
- Students of French, Latin, and Mandarin Chinese that are in a 400 Honors level class must have earned an A- or higher for three consecutive semesters. Students in a 300 level class must have earned an A for three consecutive semesters.
- Students of Spanish must be enrolled in a 400 Honors level class in Semester 1, and have earned an A average for three consecutive semesters.
- Seniors in a 300-level Spanish 5 or Spanish 6 class are also eligible for induction if they have earned an A average for three consecutive semesters. They are also eligible to earn graduation cords.
- A student cannot have earned a grade of a C or lower in any other subject during Semester 1.
- Graduation cords are only awarded to all students that are inducted as seniors, as they symbolize a commitment to the study of a world language through graduation. Students that are inducted in prior years but are not inducted as seniors do not earn cords.
- Once students have met the requirements above, they are invited to induction. The induction ceremony for new and current members of each honor society is held in May at Darien High School. Students, their family members, and friends are invited to attend.