world language honor societies
The World Language Department sponsors student membership in four internationally-recognized world language honor societies.
The purpose of these organizations is to stimulate interest in and give recognition for the study of French, Latin, Mandarin, and Spanish. The societies and student members promote a deep understanding and appreciation of the cultures and peoples that speak those languages, and demonstrate a commitment to studying those languages further.
Induction and membership is open to high school students that meet the requirements stipulated by the World Language Department of the Darien Public Schools. If you have any questions about our honor societies, please reach out to the corresponding advisor, listed below the requirements for induction.
qualifying process and induction ceremony
World Language teachers at Darien High School begin to review student rosters during the third quarter of the school year in consultation with the advisors for each honor society. Once a list of of qualifying students is compiled, it is sent to the Department Chair for review before students are notified that they have qualified for induction.
- A student must be in high school, enrolled in the same world language at DHS for three consecutive semesters and be in a Level 3 course or higher.
- Students of French, Latin, and Mandarin that are in a 400 Honors level class must have earned an A- or higher for three consecutive semesters, and students in a 300 level class must have earned an A for three consecutive semesters.
- Students of Spanish must be enrolled in an Honors class in their semester of eligibility, and have earned an A average for three consecutive semesters.
- A student cannot have earned a grade of a C or lower in any other subject in the semester in which the student is qualifying (Semester 1).
- If the student is qualifying for the first time in a Level 5 class, the student must have an A average. The student must also have been enrolled in Level 4 the year prior, and have met the requirements for induction above.
Students must qualify for induction each year. Membership in an honor society does not automatically roll over from one year to the next.
Once students have met the requirements above, they are invited to induction. The induction ceremony for new and current members of each honor society is held at the end of May at Darien High School. Students, their family members, and friends are invited to attend.