Skip To Main Content

Top Bar

Mobile Menu Trigger

Medication Administration and Authorization

Click here to access a electronic version of the Medication Authorization Form

A written medication order from an authorized prescriber and a signed medication authorization form are required, for school nurses, or in the absence of a nurse, other designated personnel to administer medication, including over-the-counter drugs. Medications must be in the original, properly labeled container and dispensed by a physician/pharmacist. Over-the-counter medications must be delivered in an unopened, properly labeled container. 

Students are not permitted to carry any medication in school, (including over-the-counter drugs), unless they have the written authorization as described above.   Generally, students are only permitted to self-administer rescue or emergency medications, such as EpiPens and asthma inhalers.  Self-administration of other non-controlled drugs may be approved for specific circumstances. The medication plan for self-administration must be signed, approved and on file in the health office before a student may carry his or her own medication. Students who have a self-administration plan must keep the medication on or with their person at all times. It is not safe, for the student or the medication, to have it left in a locker or a car.

Public Act 140176 (An Act Concerning the Storage and Administration of Epinephrine at Public Schools) requires the administration of epinephrine as emergency first aid to students experiencing an allergic reaction, even if the student does not have parental authorization or the order of a qualified medication professional. In the absence of the school nurse, the administration of epinephrine may be done by a qualified personnel who has completed required training.

Public Act 22-80 (An Act Concerning the Childhood Mental and Physical Health Services in Schools) requires the administration of an opioid antagonist on an emergency basis and without prior written authorization to students experiencing opioid-related drug overdoses, provided certain requirements are met. By law, an opioid antagonist means naloxone hydrochloride (e.g. Narcan) or any other similarly acting equally safe drug that the FDA has approved for the treatment of drug overdose.  In the absence of the school nurse, the administration of Opioid Antagonists may be done by a qualified personnel who has completed required training.

Parents or Guardians must notify the school nurse in writing annually if they refuse to have Epinephrine and or an Opioid Antagonist administered to their child as an emergency first aid by the school nurse or in absence of the school nurse, a qualified personnel.